Howell Township History
Howell Township was settled in 1834 by pioneers coming from
the New York State area. At that time the inhabitants were Native
Americans, living in log huts and wigwams. The Native Americans were
very helpful to the settlers (History of Howell Michigan by Elisha H. Smith,
The township was officially formed in 1836 and was made up of the territory
now know as Marion Township, Oceola Township and the City of Howell.
The Township, as well as the Village, were named after Thomas Howell, a
son of Judge Howell, of Canadaigua, N. Y. Many of the roads and streets
in the area are named after the first settlers.
In 1835 Mr. Rial Lake acquired 900 acres of land from the United States.
This property is located in Howell and Marion Townships. Ferdinand
Munson married Mr. Lake’s daughter who inherited 240 acres of land from her
father. This land was later sold to the Berry Family. The Berry
family farmed for many years and Fred Berry and his son, Glen Berry both
served as Howell Township Supervisor for over fifty years.
Both the Shiawassee River and the Red Cedar River run through Howell Township.
The Native Americans used the rivers to transport and barter their
goods. For many years local residents regularly found arrow heads and pieces
of Indian utensils while working the fields.
In 1836 the first bridge was built over the Shiawassee River, thus allowing
Grand River Avenue to become a plank road. A Pony Express stop was at Fleming and Grand River. A stagecoach stopped at Burkhart
and Grand River at the location of the current Wrangler Lounge.
Seymour and Phoebe Howe settled in Howell Township in 1856 on land owned
by David Blackman and lived in a log house for their first winter.
Three years later Blackman sold his 80 acres to Howe, reserving a lot at
the corner for the schoolhouse. The property for the school house was
donated by David Blackman in 1859 to School District #2 in Howell Township
as shown on the 1859 plat map. The Howe School, as the building was
named, is now the Howell Township Hall. The Howe School was used
for well over 100 years, until the Howell Public Schools consolidated and
the Howe School was donated to Howell Township for use as a Township hall.
The Township Board in their need for more space considered the historical
value of the Howe School and incorporated it into the plan to preserve the
past and provide for the future with an addition and renovation to the Township
hall. Renovation was completed in 2001 and staff moved into
the new offices with the renovation of the old school house completed in
At one time there were thirteen school districts in Howell Township. Each
district contained one country school which went through the eighth
grade. Howell Township children now attend either Howell Public Schools
or Fowlerville Public Schools.
Howell Township has been largely an agricultural and residential area.
Over the past 20 years updated infrastructure has allowed for increased
industry, commercial and multiple family uses along with the single family
and agricultural uses. The population grew due to the enjoyment of
country atmosphere. With Grand River Avenue, M-59 and I-96 access
to Lansing, Ann Arbor, Flint and the Detroit metropolitan areas
is easily accessible. Population in the township has increased from
900 in 1950 to over 5,679 in 2000. The Township’s land valuation was 1.7
million dollars in 1953, 26.5 million dollars in 1975 and in 2002 has increased
to over 330 million dollars.